Monday, March 7, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Have Bias

Yesterday I noticed a post on EGL about a contest being held my Gothic Lolita Wigs on facebook. The contest seemed simple enough. Submit a picture of yourself in your favorite Lolita outfit along with 50 words about it. So I put on my favorite co-ord, rigged my camera to sit at the proper level to get a picture of my full outfit, and posted. There was one thing I didn't think of though.
You see, it would seem to me that Lolita contests are generally more or less popularity contests. You might say that everything in the Lolita community is a popularity contest these days. You have Daily Lolita posts with nothing but comments saying how great the poster looks, Lolitas who check Lolita Valentines religiously to see if they're mentioned, and then you have the endless Lolita drama that pops up on Lolita Secrets and /cgl/. So here I am in my BABY, The Stars Shine Bright Princess Shirring JSK (which I am very proud of because it is my first brand dress) with about seven votes. Go to just about any of the Lolitas wearing head-to-toe Angelic Pretty and they will already have 50-100 votes! Why is this?
I would really like to explore this subject farther. What is it about wearing tons of Angelic Pretty and OTT Sweet Lolita that makes Lolitas flock? And why is it that someone deserves to win a contest to win a wig when they already have several wigs from the store? I would love to hear your opinions on this subject. Please leave comments!

(Disclaimer: I am not saying this because I'm mad about anything. I think most of the girls wearing OTT sweet look amazing and deserve to win. I'm just interested in hearing opinions.)

5 comments:

Miss Christy said...

I've noticed this too. It's a little frustrating because obviously the more popular lolitas are going to win, even if lesser know ones do look really good. I wish you luck on the contest.

babybunny said...

Maybe because it's "the next big thing" and OTT sweet usually attracts to the eye with the colorful pastels and many accessories. This also happens at cons and special events though.

Amoris said...

I noticed the same thing when a populair lolita got like 20000 adoring comments on 1 simple skirt she made herself, and I get only a few comments on my handmade dresses, which required much more time, skill and devotion. (I had the same reaction as you: not anger or jealousy, but surprise.)
The lolita in question is a nice girl, I'm sure, and she did a good job with the skirt, but it wasn't so extra-ordinary. She only got all those super positive comments because of her popularity.
Of course, as soon as you complain about that, you'll get accused of being jealous...
Popularity is a strange thing.

Heidi Isobel said...

i agree, when i was looking at them yesterday and i noticed the OTT sweet photos had the highest votes, and its slightly unfair, just because they are wearing the most, or the brightest ones, doesn't mean they are the most beautiful...

littletubbie said...

I agree...it is more like a popularity contest...

Post a Comment