Monday, January 10, 2011

Please help donate to children in need!

I realize that this is a Lolita blog, and neither of these things have anything to do with Lolita, but they are both important charities and I would love it if some of you could help out! (This is mostly copied and pasted from my tumblr so that might be why it looks familiar.)

So, I’m currently working with two different charities to collect donations of two different things, gently used books and DVDs. I don’t know if I’ll get any thing out of this, but I really wanted to share this to see if anyone would help.

The first charity is The African Library Project.

My school has been working with the African Library project for three years and my shop has been put in charge with my friend, Rebecca and I as the project managers. The African Library Project sends childrens’ books to schools in Africa that don’t have much money to buy their own books in order to build them good libraries for the children who are learning English as a second language. This year we have a goal of 1000 books for grades 4-8. So far we only have around 230.
We are looking for new or gently used fiction books for kids especially grades 4-8, but we would also accept non fiction and books for kids in grades K-3.

The other charity is Hope for Cope.

Shortly before Christmas my mom’s friend’s 14-year-old daughter, Jazmine, died of leukemia in the Childrens’ Hospital at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center. After being in the hospital for so long, Jazmine realized how boring it can be spending the day in the hospital with nothing to do and nothing to watch on TV. Jazmine’s mother is now collecting new or gently used DVDs to donate to the Childrens’ Hospital. They are only looking for PG-13 or lower.

I was hoping that maybe a few of you who don’t live too far away would be willing to send books and DVDs to me to donate to these charities. I’m not really willing to give my address out for the whole world to see, but if you would like to donate just leave a comment to this post saying that you want to donate and give me your email address and I'll send you the address where you can send the donations.

If you don’t have anything to send, or just don’t trust someone asking for DVDs and books over the internet, but would still like to help, you can donate money to the African Library Project here. Sadly, as Hope for Cope isn’t an official organization, they do not have a website or a place to donate money.

Thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment