Thursday, December 30, 2010

Movie Recommendation: Black Swan

Hello all! It's been a little while since I've made a post so I thought I would go ahead and do a movie recommendation for an amazing movie I just saw, Black Swan.

In Black Swan, the main character, Nina (played by Natalie Portman) is a ballerina, competing for the lead in her dance company's performance of Swan Lake. For those of you who don't know the story of Swan Lake, it is about an innocent princess who is put under a spell and turned into a white swan and only true love can break the spell. She falls in love with a prince, but he is seduced by the princess's evil twin, the black swan. The white swan is so hurt by this that she throws herself off a cliff and kills herself to escape her pain.
Traditionally, the white swan and the black swan are played by two different dancers, but in the movie, they are looking for just one dancer who can play the role of both the white and black. Nina tries as hard as she can to be perfect for the part, but how far is too far?

I thought this movie was absolutely beautiful. It was beautiful, disturbing, sexual, and very well acted. I did however make the mistake of seeing it with my mother which made a few scenes a bit awkward.
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who doesn't mind a little bit of blood and sexuality. Even if you aren't into ballet it's still a great movie.

(By the way, don't worry, I didn't forget about Christmas! But my last few presents haven't arrived just yet so I'll make a post about Christmas and New Years after I get my last few gifts.)

6 comments:

Sniper said...

Ah, one small problem I had with the movie is how it simplified the story of Swan Lake, which makes sense for conciseness but now there's a bunch of people believing that Odette has an "evil twin sister." :)

The black swan (Odile) is just Rothbart's (the sorcerer) daughter, who gets transformed by Rothbart to look just like Odette, because he doesn't want Odette's spell to be broken. They are traditionally played by the same dancer, because they are supposed to look the same.

Neko Nekogami said...

@Sniper:
I know. =( I just thought that if I'm recommending the movie, I should tell the story how it's told in the movie, that way people don't get confused.

Sniper said...

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I guess I'm just kind of a ~ballet geek~. Feel free to delete my comment!

Neko Nekogami said...

lol I won't delete it. Because you do have a point.

Alanna said...

I heard the movie was absolutely wonderful! I'll have to find some way to catch it now!

Tifa Mai said...

This movie looks amazing and from the bunch of reviews I heard it is! Happy New Years and great blog!

Post a Comment