Friday, August 20, 2010

Nerdy Lolitas

What makes a nerd? Is it a love for learning? Maybe it's an interest in things that most "normal" people would consider nerdy such as video games, SciFi, books, anime, etc.
Now we all know that Lolita is just a fashion for most people, but for others, it is also a lifestyle. But is it possible for the Lolita lifestyle to collide with the nerd lifestyle? Of course it is! But what exactly does this mean? Does it mean watching Doctor Who during tea time or dreaming that your garden was filled with mandrakes and tentacula like in the Harry Potter books? Does it mean hiding your favorite comic book behind the pages of The Gothic & Lolita Bible or wishing your prince charming would arrive with coke bottle glasses and a scientific calculator? Not necessarily.

Combining your Lolita lifestyle with your nerd lifestyle can be as simple as sipping tea in your favorite dress one day, and watching SyFy (I'm still mad that they changed the name) in your favorite t-shirt the next. Or, you could always combine your love of nerdy things into your Lolita wardrobe.

Take me as an example. After discovering the loli_geeks LiveJournal community I felt right at home and when they announced their Coordination Contest I jumped at the oportunity to combine two of my loves (After Jordan of course ^^), Lolita and Harry Potter! And I must say, I am very happy with the results.

Living the Lolita lifestyle doesn't always have to mean tea and gardening and baking every day. I think living the Lolita lifestyle means doing what you love and what makes you happy every day. Because isn't that what Lolita is about in the first place? Doing something you love?

Now, to continue with my nerdy Lolita theme, I've put together a few nerdy Lolita co-ord ideas as well as a few tutorials that I think any nerdy lifestyle Lolita would enjoy.

Doctor Who Lolita

Hit-Girl Lolita

Tutorials:
Making a cutsew from a t-shirt (Good for helping your nerd shirts fit into your Lolita wardrobe.)
Doctor Who Dalek cake tutorial (For Lolita nerds who like to bake.)
Harry Potter Crafts (Includes recepies, knitting projects, sewing projects, and lots of other fun crafts.)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

MandaPlz said...

Oh dang. The doctor who and Hit Girl coords are amazing. I have actually been drawing out an idea for a Matt Smith lolita coord.

Mariko Jessica said...

Wow this is so cool.. :)

Luna said...

I like the coords =)

Post a Comment