Monday, December 28, 2009

The Ever Elusive Lifestyle Lolita

In today’s society where it seems that people will stop at nothing to be accepted, it can be very refreshing to see people who dare to be different. So can definitely be said about us Lolitas. But while we may dress the part, we are still just normal human beings. But what about those of us who chose to be not so regular? What about those of us who would rather live a more extravagant, classic lifestyle over one ruled by popularity and technology?
I have always liked the idea of calling myself a lifestyle Lolita. But as I spend the day on my computer, listening to my Zune, and playing with my Nintendo DS, I begin to wonder what exactly it is about my lifestyle that separates me from the rest of society. Is it my obsession with the Victorian era? Is it my love for tea and antiques. This has been puzzling me for so long now. So I decided to do a bit of research.
The first stop on my quest for the truth was Vie Quaintrelle, the Live Journal community formerly known as Lifestyle Lolis. It was in this community that I found this:
“Quaintrelle style follows the "quaint" aesthetic. It is unusual or fanciful, with a sense of old-fashioned charm and prettiness. A quaintrelle takes elements from old fashioned costume and life from around the 18th century to the early 20th century and mixes it into her modern life. Elegant, frivolous, and intricate.”
Ha! Aren’t I just amazing! I took what I had originally planned to be an all night project and was able to complete it in less than twenty minutes! But now it is time for part two of my epic adventure.
You see, I often find myself sighing to myself and thinking that I was born in the wrong era. I mean, wouldn’t it be great to live in a more elegant time? Spending my days reading and taking long walks in the country side without having to worry about so many distractions? To answer this question for myself I turned to the Quaintrelle page of Fancy Girl where I found this:
“The 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries hold a special fascination for the modern day quaintrelle. Was she born into the wrong century? No, she's never had it so good. She takes the beauty and best of the past and melds it with her modern life. She has an old world elegance, frivolity, and a modern independent sprit.”
Once again my question was answered much more quickly than I would have imagined. I now realize that I am perfectly fine in the era I was born in. I have the conveniences of modern technology, but whenever I feel like it, I can easily take myself on a trip back in time and just relax with a nice cup of tea.
Sometimes I have to wonder what it is about the Lolita lifestyle that people don’t like. I mean, of course we all have different tastes, but don’t we all have days where we just want to relax and be pampered like a little princess? Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m happy with my Lolita lifestyle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment